What foods to eat when you have diarrhea from chemo (chemotherapy) is the next query from our mailbox that we answer in this article.
If you’ve had diarrhea caused by chemotherapy and you are worried, don’t be – this is completely fine (common side effect) and occurs to almost everyone going through chemotherapy.
Reason behind diarrhea caused by chemotherapy is the fact that the drugs you are supposed to be taking during the process are so heavy, affecting your stomach and overall system – causing diarrhea.
Now that you don’t have to stop drugs to cure diarrhea as those drugs are required for you to be taking in order to get through chemotherapy, you can try foods that help cure diarrhea in chemo.
Before starting, keep in mind that diarrhea during chemo may be severe or kind of okay, depending on your overall system and how it fights back those drugs during the process.
Also, we advise you to be reporting back to your doctor as soon as possible for more safety and healthiness if you have diarrhea during chemo.
That said let’s get started with what foods to eat when you have diarrhea from chemo and also share why it’s important for you to pay close attention to your diet plan and eat healthily to fight back the unhealthiness caused due to chemo.
What Foods to Eat When You Have Diarrhea from Chemo:
Following are the foods you must include in your diet if you have diarrhea caused by chemo:
- White Rice
- Mashed Potatoes
- White bread
- Skinless white meat
- Canned fruits without skins
- Cream of wheat
- Green beans
- Corn squash
Now that you have the list of 21 foods you can eat when you have diarrhea caused by chemo, there’s no excuse for you to be not eating any of them. If the foods were very limited in numbers, then you could say that you’d be bored if you ate them every day – but now that you have around 21 foods to start with, you can’t make any excuses.
Also, even after consumption of these foods for four days and you see no change in your diarrhea, make sure you are not eating any of these foods mentioned below:
- Greasy foods
- Fatty foods
- Sugary foods
- Ice cream
- Carbonated beverages
- Cruciferous vegetables
- Artificial sweeteners
If you take care of these instructions in mind, you’ll find yourself to feel better throughout the course of chemo, curing diarrhea.
One way to stick to these foods is to always remember that your digestive system has become weak due to the consumption of drugs for chemotherapy; any strong or hard-to-digest food can cause stomachache and diarrhea to become severe/ dangerous.
Serious attention is to be paid to the foods you eat and avoid throughout the course of chemo.
Following are the extras included in this article.
Why Eat Well During Chemotherapy?
There are many reasons you need to be eating healthy during chemotherapy.
- Your digestive system is weak so you’d need to provide it with foods that are easily digested and cause no ache or promote severe diarrhea.
- Appetite loss is very common in diarrhea, therefore, requires close attention.
- Diarrhea makes you dehydrated, making you weak and not capable of doing everyday tasks. The only way to tackle this is to eat healthily and drink more water.
As mentioned above, it is crystal-clear to be very serious about what’re you eating in order to be healthy again, especially after chemotherapy.
Also, keep yourself hydrated for as long as you can – this will allow your body to be functional and effective, fighting back weaknesses.
How to Eat During Chemotherapy?
Once you’ve created a list of foods and meals you’ll be consuming throughout the course of chemotherapy from the list of ours above that answers what foods to eat when you have diarrhea from chemo, next comes how you should consume those meals for more effectiveness.
- The very first point to make here is to eat small meals many times, not big ones for 2-3 times. You should aim to be eating small meals for 5-7 times a day instead of only eating big ones for 2-3 times.
- Next up is drinking lots of water. Yes, water is your friend to fight dehydration.
- Creating yourself an effective eating schedule helps you keep track of what you’re eating next and how many calories those meals contain – so you never eat less nor more and be healthy.
- It is required to know how many calories you need to gain weight. This is because diarrhea, in most cases, causes weight loss and that’s not healthy.
When to See a Doctor?
You should be working with your doctor from day 1. This is because your doctor will be able to help you more based on your body requirements than this article ever will.
A . There are total of 21 effective foods to eat when you have diarrhea from chemo.
B. You must avoid foods that are heavy on the digestive system and promote to severe diarrhea.
C. You must drink a lot of water during diarrhea.
D. You should eat smaller meals many times than eating bigger meals for only 2-3 times.
E. You should plan an effective diet schedule to stick to.
F. You should work with your doctor from day 1.