Can you eat dry ice is the next question we answer in this article – thanks to our readers who keep writing to us, allowing us to
For those who don’t know what dry ice is, it’s a solid carbon dioxide used for theatrical effects.
The reason behind its name, dry ice, is because it is also melted like wet ice, but instead of converting into a liquid from solid, this solid carbon dioxide converts into gas – that’s one of the main differences between wet ice and dry ice.
The idea of eating dry ice, we believe, first started when a guy on YouTube tried to eat the solid carbon dioxide (dry ice), leaving people in the desire of knowing more of this thing and if it could be eaten.
The video, however, has been unlisted but it’s still there to be accessed – it’s not removed from YouTube, at least until now.
Please do not try this at home – and we share in this article why exactly.
Let’s get started by answering if you can eat dry ice or not.
Can you eat dry ice?
The simple answer is NO, you can’t eat dry ice.
Let’s jump into knowing why.
The first thing to keep in mind before we proceed is to know that this is a solid form of carbon dioxide. And while carbon dioxide is not toxic, its presence can replace the normal air present in the body or environment, causing many problems.
Another reason you are not advised to be eating dry ice is
With that in mind, imagine taking in a solid carbon dioxide (dry ice) that kills the cells within your system, leaving you with burning – would you want that to happen? I wouldn’t want it personally.
For these reasons, dry ice is often found around foodstuff and medical supplies because it works as an alternative to a refrigerator where mechanical cooling isn’t available – that’s one of many uses of dry ice, and not advised to be consumed by a person (or eaten) in any way.
Another very dangerous outcome that is possible when you are dealing with the consumption of dry ice is the lowering of oxygen in your body. Yes, solid carbon dioxide also changes the amount of oxygen there is in your body (lowers it) and that’s very dangerous for your system to experience, especially in the parts that are enclosed or tightly structured, making it hard for oxygen to flow through.
Also, as we mentioned, dry ice doesn’t change from solid to liquid. Instead, it turns from solid to gas, and that becomes very heavy on your inner system and digestive tract.
And please do not place dry ice in airtight containers – they can explode any second.
There are many more facts about dry ice than these.
In case you are wondering if you can put dry ice in your water or fluids to make it cool, I wouldn’t suggest you do that – this is because it will take time first for the dry ice to entirely evaporate, and even after it disappears, there will still be a possibility of its presence in your fluids.
With that being said, what do you think?
Can dry ice hurt you?
Should you be eating it?
You have all the answers now.
A. No, you cannot eat dry ice.
B. Dry ice can burn your mouth or any part of the system that’s introduced to it, because of its ability to kill your cells.
C. Dry ice changes the air present in your system.
D. Changing of oxygen due to the presence of dry ice can be dangerous, especially in the parts that are tightly coupled and hard for oxygen to flow through.
E. Dry ice can hurt your digestive system and make you feel heavy, uncomfortable.
F. Dry ice changes from solid to gas.
G. It is best to use dry ice as an alternative to a refrigerator to cool down things like medical supplies because dry ice is extremely cold.